Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Really? Are you Kidding me?

Last night was my first Phase III shot. Phase III includes a "cocktail" shot that contains Lupron - the suppressant - & Bravelle & Menopur - both follicle stimulants. Sheila had given me some Lidocaine cream to help with the sting, but because we didn't know how it worked, we decided that we'd try the first shot straight. Big mistake. That shot stung so bad - and was so nerve wracking - that I was dizzy from it. Kathleen & I had to go lie down on the couch so I could be pitiful for a minute. Oh My Gosh that one was uncomfortable! So, she rubbed my back & gave me Jelly Bellies & I got over it.
This morning was a whole new story. I woke up, thinking I was very very hungry & prepared some breakfast for Kathleen & myself. Then, the hunger pangs didn't go away. In fact, they got worse. And worse. And worse. Kathleen & I decided to go out for a minute, but it didn't last long. I was having a hard time driving, my tummy hurt so badly! We picked up some lunch and brought it home, but I didn't feel much like eating. K finally made me call Sheila. Sheila wasn't in today - which I knew - but Yolanda called me back right away. I knew that it was side effects
 from the Menopur (or Bravelle), and I think that helped Yolanda find out what to tell me. Here's what the "cure" was: tylenol. That's it. Yolanda said I couldn't take ANYTHING else. Nothing else to help. So, K & I just lounged around talking & having a good time together. The tylenol didn't help, by the way, only time & walking around helped. 

Here's my sappy bit: I'm so grateful for Kathleen. I'm always grateful that she is a part of my life. But last night & today were both scary, for different reasons, but scary nonetheless. Sh
e held my hand, talked to me & helped calm me down during all of this. It was truly a blessing to have her near me today. I was so scared of the awful feelings that I was having, and so scared of giving myself that shot and it really helped to have her near. 

Tonight Brett gave me my shot. We numbed my tummy up pretty well, mixed the cocktail & I handed him the needle for tonight. He did a great job. He wasn't shy about sticking me & that makes it go well. He amazes me with what he can do when he just does it. I'm very VERY nervous about tomorrow. I really don't want to have that awful feeling again. Tomorrow's LOST night also - the season finale - and I'm not going to cancel that! I'll just get it all together & we'll all have a good time in spite of Evil Abdomen! 

For now, I'm listening to Brett play guitar (oh my heart!) and enjoying feeling 98% awesome. Thanks for reading on tonight. I'm grateful to have a place to be completely honest about the way I'm feeling, and I'm grateful to have your prayers while Brett & I go through this incredibly crazy (yet incredibly cool) science fair project. 

Go Team Beaker!
-The Pink Pincushion-

2 comments:

  1. The 2% of badness that she is feeling is from the bad guitar playing, but the whole pink pin cushion issue.

    I am very proud of Adele. The last two days have been very rough and scary for her, and she is doing a GREAT job and being very brave!!! Let's all give her a round of applause....

    ReplyDelete
  2. APPLAUDING!!!!

    I love you Adele...and all you are doing. I'm glad K is there with you....so grateful. And grateful for you!!!

    ReplyDelete