Friday, April 3, 2009

This is SO COOL!!

I've started and erased this like three times. This is a crazy blog to write!
This Science Project is way cooler than we thought, way scarier than we imagined, way more intense than we guessed and happening way faster than anyone could have predicted!
As of today, we're officially A Case. We have a number & a path & someone to call whenever we have questions or concerns or reach the next step. 

We talked with Dr. Perloe for a while today. He threw Science words at us like "gamete" and "saline sonogram" and "microscope" for 3o minutes. He offered to organize a scientific field trip for my students. [Umm... two problems with that: 1) I'm not teaching right now. 2) If I were teaching, my students are 5. Not great listeners when presented with words like "fertilization" & "intracytoplasmic sperm injection."] But then he gave us a book - a BOOK - of legal consent forms to read over & some explanation of how the process will go also. Oh! The best part is the information on Brett's part in all this. If you ever want something funny (in a totally "what on earth" kinda way) to read, come on over! 

"Get on with it!" 

After talking with Dr. Perloe and throwing around words like "gamete" & "biopsy," they did some more blood work on me. That was to test for Cystic Fibrosis stuff & another one that I couldn't remember what it was for. They're always taking blood for something! Then we met with Sheila. I love Sheila. I think Sheila is the craziest, most wonderful, most insane, happiest, most fantastic person on earth. Sheila gave me her phone number. Well, it was her extension. Sheila told me that I have to call her every time we have a question. Every time we reach a landmark. Every time we need an appointment. And she gave us a schedule. A time frame! She told us what's going to happen when & she helped us feel at ease about it all.  And then she put our file on her head & balancing it, walked out of the room. That's the kind of person we like on Team Beaker Coburn

Our schedule:
1. Finish this monthly cycle after which I will get on birth control pills to make me not ovulate. That way they can stimulate ovulation & harvest a ton of eggs. 
2. We have to go see either a therapist or the rabbi to get him to sign off that we are psychologically ready to go through this Science Project.
3. We have to go through a semen analysis so we can make sure that what's wrong is actually my own issues and not Brett's also. This will allow Dr. Perloe to make better judgement calls in how we go through the next part of the schedule. 
4. When we talk with Sheila after I start BCP, she'll tell me the next steps. (Isn't she wonderful?)

So, all of this feels great. We're on solid ground. We're getting somewhere. We're on a path! 

Oh, and Dr. Perloe said I can't run the Peachtree Road Race. Anyone need a number?

Go Team Beaker!


1 comment:

  1. PRaying for you!! WOW! What news!!

    ooooh!!! I might love your #....I'd run for you!!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete