Monday, April 20, 2009

Learning the Ropes Part 2

As I promised you who have already read this today (thank you), I am going to spend a little time expounding upon what I wrote earlier.

Today was a big deal appointment. Dr. Perloe did the saline sonogram & trial transfer. Thankfully, he did both at one time because it was moderately uncomfortable. I'm not going to go into the details of the procedures because it's not something we're willing to share. It did go well & Dr. Perloe assured us that everything is "normal" & that's wonderful news! 

The science of IVF is moving at a tremendous rate. Already the fifth day CGH chromosome testing that we were considering is obsolete! They can now test all 23 pairs of chromosomes on the third day. Brett & I are discussing it more tonight, but it's not likely that we'll do that testing. Dr. Perloe asked us if we want to consider it & we told him that we would at least do that.

After meeting with Dr. Perloe, we met with Sheila. Remember Sheila? I love Sheila. She is amazing. Sheila gave us our calendar. She also taught Brett how to administer the big shot. Yes, there's a big shot. As opposed to the little daily shots that I'll be getting starting on April 23rd.
Here's our basic schedule.
Start Lupron shots on 4.23
Baseline Check Date 5.05
I'll have daily appointments from 5.09 - 5.16
Tentative Egg retrieval date is between 5.16-5.18 ** For this procedure, I will be put under sedation.

Theoretically, we'll do the transfer five days after that. I say theoretically because there are a few things that could make us postpone.

PLEASE remember a couple of things:
1. I am NOT supposed to be "dieting" during this time. I'm eating healthy & trying to make smart choices. I request that you keep that in mind when we dine together. My weight is going to fluctuate with the massive amounts of hormones that I'm going to be on. 
2. There is ONLY a 37% chance of getting pregnant the first time we try this. That's not even half & half. Please don't get your hopes up, we're trying to do the same. Brett & I promise that we'll let you know when we're pregnant. Neither of us can drink much anymore, so don't try to guess or call us out on it. This is going to be a sticky time, but it could be a really great time. 
3. Speaking of the massive amounts of hormones: They're going to put me in a quasi-premenopausal state. Those of you who've been through it will remember: it's going to be crazy at the Coburn Compound! I figure in about three days I'm going to become a lunatic. I've already apologized to Brett, but anyone who wants to rescue him from hot flashes, emotional roller coasters and/or Crazy Adele, please do so with my blessings! Poor Brett! 

So that's all the information we're going to share today. For a while, the blog will be more about the way we're feeling. Just a place to allow thoughts to flow. We're feeling fine. I'm pretty nervous. To be honest, I'm terrified. This is much more invasive than I thought it was going to be. Thanks for continuing to read. Love y'all.
and as always:

Go Team Beaker!

4 comments:

  1. I second all of Adele's comments, particularly the part about rescuing me from the ensuing craziness once those hormones start flowing.

    Go Team Beaker! And check out this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCbuRA_D3KU

    ReplyDelete
  2. praying, praying, praying for ya!!!

    Much love!!!
    Becca

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you NEED anything after today?? How are YOU feeling?

    I'm here, really! What can I do? I am praying!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're both in our prayers! Go Team Beaker indeed!!!

    Mindy and Rich

    ReplyDelete