Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Dr. Smith

B and I went for our 12 week check-up and our first meeting with Dr. Smith today. Dr. Smith is a nice OB, seemingly in his late 50s or early 60s. He is very conservative in some ways, but pretty liberal in other ways. We are his first set of twins in a while, so the nurse was pretty excited and Dr. Smith shifted into Twins Mode to tell us all the News That Is News About Twins.

Most importantly: We did NOT get pictures to post here today. We'll get those next week at the perinatologist and I'll post them then. We DID get to see the Babes in there squirming and playing and doing backflips. I'm fairly certain that I will have my little gymnast to whom I'll be able to teach cartwheels and back-walkovers! We could see good images of arms and legs with the rudimentary ultrasound machine at the office, and are so excited about seeing them in all their glory next week.

A brief run-down of what the Good Doctor said:
1. I will officially be in my second trimester next week. I guess week 12 is the final week of the first trimester. 
2. There really aren't foods that I have to avoid completely and entirely. He said to keep things in moderation and it will be fine. (That means I can have a hot dog!!!)
3. My heartburn isn't going to get any better, but there are things I can do to help it, including propping my head up at night and not drinking anything before bed and taking a wonderful fizzy antacid that he recommends.
4. I will be placed on Strict Bedrest at the beginning of November. That means no getting up except to go to the bathroom. I'll be reading and watching a LOT of movies. I hope people will come visit me so I don't die of boredom. I'm hoping to take a class online because going down to GSU is kinda out of the question. (Conversely, that means no housework!!)
5. I'm allowed to be a piggy, but I am not supposed to be a Hog. I understood the difference, do you?

How am I feeling, you ask? Oh, my. I'm tired all the time. I'm hungry all the time. I have decided that someone is stuffing me with upholstery every night because I look like an overstuffed couch. I will never be a Lovely Pregnant Lady, but I'm Pregnant and that's really all I care about. 

What questions do you have that I might be able to ask the next time I see Dr. Smith? He's a font of information and I am thrilled to have him on Team Beaker!
That being said:

Go Team Beaker!

1 comment:

  1. For the record, I think the active one is the girl. She's going to be trouble. The quiet, calm, collected one is the boy. You just wait and see....

    ReplyDelete