Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Down the Rabbit Hole


Brett and I are reading Alice in Wonderland together at night. Each night, we take a chapter and read it out loud. We alternate who's reading. We're not sure if the Babes can hear us, though originally that was our hope. We're just enjoying having some time together reading and enjoying the story. We love having something interesting and new to discuss - especially when one of the footnotes (we have one of the most highly regarded annotated versions) strikes our thoughtful bone.

Sometimes we feel like Alice while we wander through pregnancy. It all seems so curious! With the Babes, I think I feel them, then I'm not so sure, then I question what I thought I felt before. It's as if we are down the rabbit hole - so surreal, so exciting, so curious!
We went to see Dr. Smith today, who, speaking of characters, never ceases to crack me up with his demeanor. He is very laid back (a quality that is definitely prized on Team Beaker). He is constantly reminding me that what happens to pregnant people happens to me in spades because we've got Two.
Here are (some of) the things we asked him and his answers:
* Why can't I breathe anymore? Because you have two Space Occupants that must grow somewhere.
* Why are my hands and feel swelling? Because you have two creatures in there and therefore instead of having 50% more blood running through the veins, you have 80 - 100% more blood in your veins.
* Am I doing alright size, growth and otherwise? Yes. Fabulous. You have two in there.
See? Very good at reminding me that I'm having twins.

I'm very excited that on Friday, I'm heading to Orlando to take one last solo trip to see Mom & Dad Ramsden. It's a bit of a See You Later, Alligator to my days of easy travel and relaxation before I find myself chillin' in bed for a few months. Dr. Smith gave me his okay today and reminded me that I'm going to swell more because of travel in an airplane and admonished me to chill out more while I'm down there. I can handle that! I can't wait to see Mom & Dad!

That's all I have for today. Sleep has been elusive for the past week or so. I feel like I'm steering the QE2 into a marina slip when I try to climb into that enormous bed of ours. And it's only going to get worse... I've been sitting too long now, and I have been told to get up and walk around more than I have been and also to keep my feet up more. Mixed messages much?

That's okay. He's a good person to have on Team Beaker!
So, Go Team Beaker!

1 comment: